As a contributor to the Sea Turtle Stranding and Salvage Network (STSSN), we answer calls to document both live and dead marine turtle strandings throughout Brevard County. Our stranding team is on call 24 hour a day, 365 day a year.
Our main office is open 11 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday – Saturday.
- If You Find a Hatchling:
- Do not touch the hatchling.
- Do not put it in water or air conditioning.
- Do not remove it from the beach.
- Put it in a container on damp cloth/paper, but PLEASE do not put it in water.
- Cover with a cloth.
- Call the hotline (321) 206-0646 or one of the agencies listed below for further instructions.
- If You Find an Exposed Nest:
- Cover with sand, if possible.
- Call one of the agencies listed below.
- Do not attempt to collect the eggs yourself. Disturbing the nest or eggs could kill the hatchlings.
Sea turtles are protected under
Florida and Federal laws.
Federal law provides even greater protection (and criminal penalties as severe as $100,000 and a year in prison) if you “take, harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, or capture any marine turtle, turtle nest, and/or eggs, or attempt to engage in any such conduct.”